The Manuscript Academy exists to provide writers a creative place to grow together, get constructive feedback, build connections, find support, and learn the skills that can move their careers forward.
To that end, with the belief that the best creative work is done in a place where everyone feels safe, supported, and valued, we do have a code of conduct. Whether you are a full tuition student or scholarship student, the rules apply equally.
By accessing and using this service, you accept and agree to be bound by the terms and provision of this agreement. In addition, when using these particular services, you shall be subject to any posted guidelines or rules applicable to such services. Any participation in this service will constitute acceptance of this agreement. If you do not agree to abide by the above, please do not use this service.
- Respectful communication: We expect that everyone behave in a respectful manner. We know it’s frustrating if a faculty member doesn’t immediately say yes, or the edits you receive are time-consuming, or you don’t immediately connect with the vision they propose. That said, it is counterproductive to take your anger out on them. We will not tolerate disrespectful behavior, including but not limited to name-calling, aggressive language, violating boundaries, unkind communication, attracting unflattering attention to The Manuscript Academy, LLC, or otherwise lashing out at faculty, fellow attendees, or our founders. Such behavior can, at the sole discretion of The Manuscript Academy, LLC, lead to a warning, or immediate dismissal without a refund.
- Membership: You can become a member, and then have access to the Member Booking System–where you can sign up for detailed written critiques, early access to meeting booking (before the non-member public, which increases your odds of, but does not guarantee, spots with first-choice faculty), forums, and classes–in one of two ways:
- Purchase access to the Full Library: This allows you access to ALL of our classes for 30 days, as well as access to the member booking system (early booking for meetings and longer meetings, plus written critiques up to 100 pages) for 30 days. This also gives you the member meeting price of $39 for each ten-minute meeting, and $89 for each 10 page read/15-minute meeting. We can often accommodate special requests (additional dates, times, etc) for faculty.
- Purchase access to an A La Carte Class: This allows you 15 days of access to your class or class pack, plus 15 days of access to our member booking system (described above, with discounts, above). Provisions can be made for extensions if you happen to book your class after that month’s meetings have sold out–please get in touch to ask.
- Rescheduling by faculty member: Our faculty members are people—people who sometimes get sick, have off days, or can’t immediately come up with exactly the right fix for your work. This is also the good part—they’re usually inspired, resilient, and able to give you solutions no robot ever could. To that end, we ask that, if your faculty member needs to reschedule your meeting, you cooperate in finding a time that’s agreeable to both of you.
- Technical difficulties: As with all technology, glitches do sometimes happen. If you experience any trouble, please get in touch with us right away. If technical difficulties are preventing you from attending your meeting, please do not panic. Faculty members know this will sometimes happen, and will reach out to reschedule. It will not make them think less of you.
- Cancellations/rescheduling: Most of our appointments do not allow cancellations, as the faculty member may have already begun work editing your pages. That said, you are allowed to cancel the ten-minute meetings as long as you do so more than 72 hours ahead. If you must cancel within 72 hours, write to us and explain the situation, and we will, in the sole judgment of The Manuscript Academy, LLC, determine the best course of action.
- Revisions: Most of our appointments do not allow revisions, as many faculty members begin work editing the pages you’ve sent right away. That said, you may send a revision for your ten-minute meeting, as long as you do so a MINIMUM of four hours ahead, you may. The revision system can be found here, and each revision is $10.
- If, for some reason, the revision system isn’t working, please send to us with “Revision for [Faculty member],” and we will, if we see it in time, forward it on and ask you to send us the $10 via Paypal.me/ManuscriptAcademy
- You may not send a revision after your meeting. If you would like more advice, however, you are welcome to book another meeting with that faculty member, especially after you implement their edits.
- Copyright: We expect that you will behave honorably in the use of your login information and respect the copyright of our work. If we see that your username and password have been used to login in impossible ways (for example, in use in Colorado and Maine within an hour), or if it appears you are sharing a membership, illegally sharing our materials, or otherwise violating our terms of service, we reserve the right to suspend your account without a refund. The Site and its original content, features, and functionality are owned by The Manuscript Academy, LLC, and are protected by international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
- Contact/help: We are available by email at Academy at ManuscriptWishList dot com and on our Contact page as often as we can be; however, after business hours Monday to Friday, New York time, there may be longer delays. If you are waiting for an answer from us and don’t hear back within three days, please check in. Most responses will be much faster. Whatever the issue, we can often fix it retroactively.
- Purpose: We are in no way promising that The Manuscript Academy, LLC, is a guarantee in terms of finding an agent or getting published. While you may use your time to pitch your work, we are set up to be a learning experience, NOT a way to “pay your way in.” We are an educational program, not an agency for agents. That said, we strongly believe that what we offer will help you learn to best present your work.
- Consider your notes: We expect you to think of this as a learning experience. When you receive notes, please try to consider them. While of course we can’t force you to “do your homework,” as it were, we do hope that you will be open to what you learn here.
- Scholarships: are available at the beginning of each semester, and are awarded in September, January, and June. You are welcome to apply here: https://manuscriptacademy.com/scholarship-application/. Unless you otherwise specify, we will keep your information on file for consideration for future semesters. Your information will not be shared with anyone except for the scholarship board, in charge of choosing recipients. Other than the board, no one will know you are a scholarship student unless you choose to tell them.
- Privacy: We will not share your information with anyone, except as provided to us when you sign up. Please note that your name, query or first page, writing sample, email address/Gmail/Skype name and/or phone number are automatically shared with the faculty member you specified when you sign up—but they will never see your credit card information. If you would like to be anonymous on our site and forums, you are welcome to give yourself a pseudonym when you sign up, but your real name will show up with your payment (and we will see the last four digits of your credit card number if you use Stripe). We exercise great care to protect your personal information. This includes, among other things, using industry standard techniques such as firewalls, encryption, and intrusion detection. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from us. This is especially true for information you transmit to us via email since we have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us since email does not have the security features that are built into our websites and payment processing software. Please do not ever email us your credit card, payment, or other sensitive information.
- Payment: You are welcome to pay by either Stripe or Paypal, both of which have industry-standard, built-in security. We expect payment at time of booking, or at the time of purchasing your membership.
- Refunds: You will receive a refund if you cancel your ten-minute meeting more than 72 hours ahead, as per our cancellation policy, or if a faculty member or founder initiates the cancellation. Refunds take 5-7 business days to reach your statement. We do not issue refunds for class (Full Library or A La Carte) memberships, or meetings canceled within 72 hours of start time, except in the following cases:
- Accidental over purchase: If you misunderstand the rules of membership (for example, if you purchase a Full Library Membership and then purchase an a la carte class on top of it—which was included with your Full Library), please write to us and we will correct the error.
- Upgrade to Full Library: If you purchase an a la carte class and wish to upgrade to the Full Library within 30 days, we will refund your a la carte purchase at the time of your Full Library purchase.
- Cancellation within one hour of purchase: If you accidentally purchased a Full Library Membership, please write to us immediately and we will correct the error. However, because the A La Carte classes can be watched within an hour, this policy applies only to Full Library Memberships.
- Termination of membership: Pertaining to the above, we may terminate your access to the Site, without cause or notice, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with your account. All provisions of this Agreement that, by their nature, should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability.
- Warranty: To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless The Manuscript Academy, LLC, and its subsidiaries, and their respective directors, officers, board members, employees, agents, successors and assigns, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to all legal fees and expenses) arising from: (i) your use of and access to the Services, including any data or content transmitted or received by you; (ii) your violation of any term of this Agreement and any other agreement that you have with The Manuscript Academy, LLC, including without limitation your breach of any of the representations and warranties herein; (iii) your violation of any third-party rights, including without limitation any right of privacy or Intellectual Property Rights; (iv) your violation of any applicable law, rule or regulation, including, without limitation, your violation of the US Fair Credit Reporting Act and any applicable data protection laws; (v) any claims or damages that arise as a result of your User Content; (vi) any other party’s access and use of the Services with your account or log-in information; and/or (vii) your intentional or willful misconduct, or negligence.
- No Warranty: EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT AND TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE MANUSCRIPT ACADEMY, LLC, DOES NOT GUARANTEE ANY RESULTS FROM USING THE SERVICES. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. USE OF THE SERVICES ARE AT YOUR OWN OPTION AND RISK. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR TERMS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PURPOSE OR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE MANUSCRIPT ACADEMY, LLC, ITS EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, OR THROUGH THE SERVICES, WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY, TERM OR CONDITION NOT EXPRESSLY STATED HEREIN. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT (I) ANY CONTENT PROVIDED ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICES IS ACCURATE, LEGALLY COMPLIANT, UP-TO-DATE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT; (II) THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (III) THE SERVICES WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION, OR WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE; (IV) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; OR (V) THAT THE SERVICES ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. ANY CONTENT DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS DOWNLOADED OR AVAILABLE AT YOUR OWN OPTION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH CONTENT OR YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES.