We’re thrilled to bring you one-on-one meetings–and, now, critiques!–with agents and editors who can offer you personalized expertise. Visit the faculty page to find the best expert for you.
Pitches & Critiques are available for purchase after you’ve registered for a class.
Ten minute meetings ($39 each): Meet with a faculty member of your choice — literary agents or editors — to discuss your book. This is an amazing opportunity to get face-to-face time with an agent using Skype, Google Hangout, or the phone. Use this one-on-one opportunity to discuss your work or any publishing questions you may have (including “Why do I keep getting form rejections?”). You may sign up for as many agent & editor pitches as you like; there is no limit. You will use our calendar system to book available times with the expert(s) of your choice.
Query letter critiques ($69): Get personalized feedback and editorial guidance on your all-important query letter from an agent/editor faculty member of your choice. Submit your work with confidence, knowing that this step gives your book its best possible chance. The query critique will be sent back to you on the date you choose on the booking calendar.
First 10 pages critique ($89): Get personalized feedback from the agent/editor/author faculty member of your choosing on the first ten pages of your work. Know that, when receive a request for more pages from an agent, you’ve done everything you can to keep that agent reading. The manuscript critique will be sent back to you on the day that you choose on our booking system. All genres and book types are welcome. You may get your entire picture book critiqued at this rate, provided that it is 1,000 words or fewer.
Synopsis critique ($89): Hate your synopsis? Not sure how to share the spirit of your story–or if you should give away that twist? Will it pass muster at an editorial board meeting–or does it hide the best elements of your work? Never fear! Our experts deal with synopses every day and can help you craft the strongest document to represent your work.
First 50 pages/First 100 Pages Critiques ($240/$480, respectively): Do everything you can to rock that partial request. Our agents and editors will help you with tone, voice, language, plot, characterization, tension, momentum–and everything else that can get you from a partial request to a full request. Note that if you purchase the fifty pages first, you can always add on the second fifty pages later.
(If you have already signed up for the conference and now want to schedule pitches, you should log into this site, then click Schedule Pitches & Critiques under the Member Home tab on the upper right.)
IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING CRITIQUES:
- There is no phone call or meeting with any kind of critique. You send the material to us in a Microsoft Word attachment, the agent/editor critiques it, and then sends it back to you with notes/feedback. One-on-one personal meetings only happen with the pitch sessions.
- All critiques should use 12-pt font and normal margins.
- Queries are single-spaced, whereas manuscript pages are double-spaced.
- All genres and book categories are welcome, but it’s up to you to read through the agent bios and find someone who you think is a good fit for your work.
- All critiques and pitch sessions are only available to those who have paid the base registration fee to Manuscript Academy. In other words, you cannot sign up for a pitch or critique without registering for the conference itself.
- Meetings and critiques are based on availability. Agents and editors will sell out. We encourage you to book early.
- If your critiquer has to cancel the critique because of an unforeseen emergency, you will get a full refund on the critique or pitch and/or will mutually decide to reschedule.